Monday, May 3, 2010

A-Z Mondays, The Foodie Version, "O" is for Orange Julius!


Orange Julius! Yummy, sweet smoothy orangy flavored nectar of the Gods.

OK, so maybe it's not really that good. But it is a nice little treat once in a while. Orange Julius stores used to be very popular in these parts in the late 70's - early 80's...and now they have all but vanished. But every once in a while, you'll come across a little "cross pollination" of fast food joints. You know, where you run across a Taco Bell/Tastee Freeze combo, or a KFC/Green Burrito combo. Not long ago I saw a Dairy Queen/Orange Julius combo. You'll notice I said I saw it, I didn't say I went there! I'm still being very good with my dieting...and trying to make good decisions. (Still stuck at the 60-61-62lb. mark and hovering...)


Yes, it's been a long while since I've had one of these orangy smoothy delights, but I remember them fondly. I recently came across a recipe for them if you'd like to give it a try on your own.

Give it a try, and let me know what you think, but don't blame me when you get on your scale!


6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate
1 cup milk
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
10-11 ice cubes

1. Combine all ingredients except ice cubes in blender.
2. Blend for about 1-2 minutes, adding ice cubes one at a time.
For a little smoother blend, use 1/4 cup regular sugar and 1/4 powdered sugar. Enjoy!

If you'd like to see what other foodies are blogging about on A-Z Mondays, be sure to check out Jen's blog here!

6 comments:

Minerva said...

I remember going to the mall in the late 70's and getting one of these with my friends. Yum!
We do have a "hybrid" stand like this in one outlet mall near me- it's Orange Julius/some kind of Cinnabon knock-off but I haven't tried one there. Maybe I will.
Have a good Monday!

Cassie said...

Gosh Sue, I haven't seen an Orange Julius stand in years. Thanks for the recipe. I need to copy that when I get some more ink for my printer. Happy A~Z day!

Ben said...

I will have to seek one of these treats out. I am not sure I have ever actually had one! How deprived is that?

Valerie Cummings said...

Oh I remember Orange Julius! Thye were yummy!!!! smack smack I could go for one right now! HUgs Joey and Kealani

Loui♥ said...

Sue..
Orange Julius..
delicious..
yummy..
just lip smacking good!
could use one right about now!
smiles..
Loui♥

Chris H said...

Looks delicious.
Sounds delicious.
Don't thing I will try it!
Calories!!!