Monday, November 10, 2008

Through an amateur's eyes - a review of "Role Models"

Good Lord, what was I thinking?

I broke down and took A.J., my 16 year old son to see Role Models today. Thankfully it was just the two of us, as Pickle is out of town for a couple of days with a school group, Bear was at work, and Hubby started his new job today.(Yay!) It was bad enough being there with A.J., laughing nervously at the raunch, and I squirm at the thought of sitting in the theater with both of my "youngsters."

But that's not to say it wasn't funny. Oh, so raunchy, but pretty funny in some parts. The movie stars Seann William Scott, and Paul Rudd, and was rated "R" for many, many reasons...namely the "F" bomb being dropped WAY more times than I could possibly count. Tons of "adult" language - several sets of boobs being flashed (hence some of the nervous laughter) and plenty of drug references.

Some of the very funniest lines came from "Ronnie" a 10 year old kid in the mentor program the two main characters are sentenced to participate in. Ronnie is played by Bobb'e J. Thompson, 12, and his little "tough guy" act is done to perfection. He delivers his dialog with the talent of a seasoned pro, and none of it is clean enough for me to repeat here...

Another of the kids in the mentor program is "Augie" played by Christopher Mintz-Plasse of "Superbad" fame. Augie is a cape-wearing ubernerd in need of a strong father figure. Augie lives in a fantasy world of Dungeons and Dragons, Elves, magical spells, and such, and acts them out with a group of others in a game called L.A.I.R.E. (Live Action Interactive Roleplay Experience) The game they played was kind of like an "all battle" Renaissance Fair, without the men in kilts. Kilts would have helped. I got the distinct impression that they were trying to dis my peeps from the Ren. Fair...and that's just not cool. People that go to real Renaissance Fairs are WAY cooler than the nerds they portrayed here - this I know from experience...'nuff said on that...

Jane Lynch was a real shining star in this movie - playing the whacked out director of the mentor program. Let's all pray that our children never wind up in a program like the one she was running. She played her part of a recovering drug addict and alcoholic to a "T" and often times had you wondering if she'd taken a quick trip off of her wagon. Her signature line of the movie was "Don't B.S. me, you can't B.S. a B.S'er." I guess you had to be there, but it was darn funny.

The movie was rude, crude, and really raunchy. But I have to tell you, I did laugh out loud, several times, sometimes nervously at being seated with A.J., and sometimes just at the stupidness of the whole thing. If you are wondering about the Kiss picture, well, you'll just have to see the movie to understand that part. I do have a new understanding of their song "Love Gun..." Would I recommend this movie? Certainly not to everyone. For anyone with the sense of humor of a 16 year old boy, you betcha. Keep in mind those "F" bombs though, they come flying from everywhere! My overall rating "C". If you were to ask A.J, he says it's a B+, but remember he's 16.

1 comment:

Travel girl said...

You are a great writer. I cracked up when I read this. I have only one word to say..

"RENTAL"
Travel Girl