Sunday, November 9, 2008

Chunky legs in motion - part 'Ewalu (that's 8 in Hawaiian - guess where I dreamt I was last night...)

You might notice that I haven't updated my "Chunky Legs in Motion" series in a while. That's because I've been pretty bad with my training lately, and took most of the month of October off from long walks to concentrate on Halloween Party prep. That. Was. Not. A. Good. Idea. I'm going to pay for the decision to be lazy..

The 3 Day walk starts in 12 days. Yesterday my dear friend, and teammate Shirley, and I decided we'd better kick our training back into gear. We got together at 7am and made the short drive to Mission Bay. We'd previously walked as far as 15 miles without more than a couple of minutes break, and did it relatively pain free. Well, let me tell you folks, a couple of weeks makes a HUGE difference. Yesterday we drug our butts 12 miles. The first 6 or so went by relatively easily, but the last half of the walk was a real killer! At times we seriously didn't think we were going to make it. I'm sure it didn't help that it was in the mid 80's by the time we got into a good grove at about 8:00am, and that I'd gotten a total of about 3 hours of sleep the night before. (Lots on my mind, and just couldn't turn my brain off) But let me tell you, it was tough! If there was any doubt that I wasn't physically ready for the walk, this was the proof I was dreading. After debating whether or not we could dig up enough cash out of our fanny packs to get a taxi back to our car, we decided to tough it out and keep walking. We completed our 12 mile training walk, with a couple of short stops, in about 4 1/2 hours. Our feet ached and our legs felt like jello, but we made it.


I woke up today with the intention of going on a short walk...at least that was the intention before my feet actually hit the floor. Everything is sore and stiff, and I think I'll pass on that short walk. Tomorrow is another day, and I don't think letting everything rest today is a bad idea. Probably lazy, but not bad. I'll put in as many miles as I possibly can in the next 11 days, without killing my poor chunky legs and tootsies.

Like I said, the 3 Day, 60 Mile walk starts in 12 days. Plenty of time for me to stock up on mole skin (for the blisters I know I'll have), and Ibuprofen. I'll need lots of both. Wish me strength. I'll need it.

1 comment:

Najia said...

Hello there Sue!

You know what, I have TOTALLY been to your blog before! I know I have. I may have followed over from Adam's blog (Molly & Tess' dad), but I'm not sure. I know I left a comment, but I can't find it for the life of me right now. I remember reading about your Golden "meet-ups) and I wanted to see where you guys hold it so I could bring Achilles & Milo. We adopted them both from the GR rescue last August. Achilles is now 14 and 4 months, and Milo will be 11 this January. I love my Golden furbabies. Your Golden Gang is PRECIOUS.

Oh, I remember reading that you were going to have your Halloween party. Our friends Mark & Sherrie also hold one...you should come back to my blog and check out our pics. We went as a mammogram machine and a giant boob in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness. Tee hee.

Speaking of, you are such an inspiration doing the 3 day. You'll feel better tomorrow and I'm sure you'll crush the miles beneath you. Good luck! We're all rooting for you.

Hope to see you soon back over in our little corner of Blogistan. :-)