Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Through an amateur's eye - a review of "Iron Man"


I will preface this review by telling you all that I am not a comic book fan. I am not a cartoon fan, nor am I particularly a "superhero" movie fan. I did love Christopher Reeve in the original Superman movies he was in, but haven't been too thrilled with the superhero stuff that has come out since. Oh, sure, George Clooney makes a pretty decent Batman (but why did the Batsuit have nipples?), but it's not so much the men in the tights that don't do anything for me, it's the stories themselves that can, at times, bore me to tears. So....predictable. (You knew that was coming, didn't you?)

Well, with that being said, let me tell you that I liked this movie. A LOT. I'm thinking that it probably did have something to do with Robert Downey, Jr. starring as the lead. I like Robert Downey, Jr. A LOT. Almost as much as I like Brad Pitt. Almost. RDJ stars as Tony Stark, a billionaire playboy with a conscience. I thought he was great, and the role showed off his magnetic personality. Iron Man also stars Terrence Howard (love him too) as Stark's old buddy, Jeff Bridges (used to love him and his brother Beau, but now they are both looking really old, and pretty creepy) and Gwyneth Paltrow (jealous of her because she was once engaged to my boy Brad.) They all play their respective roles fairly well, with Gwyneth being just a little too dizzy for my taste.

I thought the special effects were very good, with my favorite part being when Stark (Downey, Jr.) is getting "suited up" in his iron suit, which according to the character is actually "gold titanium alloy." Fun fantasy stuff to watch.

I'm not saying that this movie doesn't have it's flaws, but they're not enough to keep the film from being enjoyable to watch. The story has some wit, substance, and a little romance thrown in. And Robert Downey, Jr. Can't ask for too much more than that....I'd give this an A-

No comments: