Thursday, May 1, 2008

Chunky legs in motion


Today is May 1st, and although I still have lots of fun stuff to blog about regarding my recent trip to London and Paris, I wanted to mention that today I "officially" started my training for the 3 Day Breast Cancer walk, coming up in November. The trainers for the walk have a calendar of training set up for participants to follow, but they start out walking 3 miles on the first day (which I believe is June 1st), and I wasn't sure I was ready to jump in with a 3 mile walk. ("Why?" You ask? Let me refer you back to the title of this particular post...) Even though I walked a LOT in London (6 days and a total of 49.69 miles!) it was stop and go kind of stuff, nothing straight through. I figured it was best to start slow, and go easy on my "still recovering from walking in London and Paris" legs. My oldest daughter (who I am EXTREMELY proud of, for many reasons, one of them being that she decided to join me on this walking journey) and I got on our good walking shoes, stretchy yoga type Capri's, grabbed a bottle of water, and the dogs, and headed out. We started out with a 2 mile walk today. I forgot to tell her to stretch. I forgot to stretch. Stretching is important. I remembered that as soon as my shins started screaming at me, which was not very far into our little trek. I will remember to stretch next time.

The dogs were great, and very excited to get out for an early walk. I think we all enjoyed it, except for my shins, but they'll get over it.

Above is a picture from when I walked in the 2006 3-Day. It was my first walk, and a life changing experience. I'm right there...see me? I'm the one in pink.

2 comments:

Valerie Cummings said...

I am so proud of you and Sherri! You go girls!

Anonymous said...

Way to go!

If you know of anyone who's interested in participating in the Breast Cancer 3-Day this year but not as a walker, we're looking for volunteer crew members for all positions, including medical professionals. Crew members commit four full days to the Breast Cancer 3-Day (Thursday to Sunday) and must be 18 years or older. Anyone interested in joining the crew can contact coaches@the3day.org or 800.996.3DAY.