Sunday, May 29, 2011

Checking in...

I am alive, and well, I guess. There has been a lot going on lately, not much of it good. Long story...anyway, I just thought I'd check in and say howdy.

I've been thinking about a lot of things lately, and along those lines, this old story came to mind.

Did you hear the story of the little boy with a bad temper? Handing his son a bag of nails, the boy's father explains each time his son loses his temper and shouts angry hurtful words he must hammer a nail into the back of the wooden fence in their yard. On that first day 37 nails went into the fence. Over the next few weeks the boy began discovering it was easier to hold his temper and his tongue than trek all the way out to the back fence and pound those nails into the fence.

After some time the boy proudly approached his father and announced he had not lost temper at all for several days. His wise father suggested his son pull out one nail for each temper-free day. Finally, boasting that all the nails were gone, the boy takes his dad's hand and leads him to the fence without nails. "You have done well, my son. Now look at the holes in the fence. It will never be the same. When you say things in anger your words leave scars, just like these holes."

I feel like there are a lot of new holes in my fence...

2 comments:

Rory Grant said...

Well, you can always patch it up - or tear it down and build a new one. I guess the point I'm making is best made by Emerson...
“What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you.”

You can change anything - if you really want to.

(Loved the little story)

Best wishes

Rory

Chris H said...

Interesting story... good that the boy no longer lost his temper... but sad that it left scars.
I hope your 'fence' is not going to leave too many scars.
{{{hugs}}