Thursday, February 17, 2011

Flop

What the heck? In the last week I've made two attempts at making this cake.

Two.

Both times the cake has come out looking like this. A cow patty.


Now granted, the cake tastes AWESOME, and I know, in the long run, that's what really matters. But seriously, what the heck am I doing wrong?

I am using a recipe that only has four ingredients. Butter, sugar, eggs and semisweet cocoa. It's a flour-less chocolate cake and I know it's actually supposed to rise and fall, but my issue is that the silly thing doesn't want to come out of the cake pan for anything! It splits in the middle and comes apart like a darn hamburger bun. UGH! I greased the heck out of the pan, and even used a brand new non-stick pan. Both times I had to scrap the thing out of the pan and mold it together.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I am doing wrong? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

7 comments:

donna said...

try lining the pan with parchment paper. Should slide right out.

Angel Tucker, Daisy and Leo said...

You might try greasing the pan and then instead of flouring the edges like you do for some cakes, coat the inside of the pan with bakers cocoa. Gives the cake something to cling too when it rises, and then helps it come out.

Still looks yummy.

Heidi

Unknown said...

Two things you can try; after greasing the pan, dust it with cocoa powder. It works the same as flour but won't leave white powder on your chocolate cake. The other thing you can do is grease the pan and cut a piece of parchment paper to fit in the bottom of the pan. One or both of those should do the trick. Good luck!

Najia said...

Lastly, you can just let me have your mistake cow patties. They won't go to waste around here.

Bobbi said...

Perfect Jill, I was thinking the same thing. BTW how much of each ingredient. The cake sounds good.

Bobbi said...

Perfect Jill, I would have said the same thing. BTW how much of each ingredient. That cake sounds good.

Anonymous said...

It's a pain, but the parchment paper lining is the way to go. Whenever I try to get by without doing it, things don't go well. I think the paper also acts as a bit of an insulator for the cake batter and allows the cake to cook a little better.