Friday, August 27, 2010

Creatures of Habit

Dogs are funny, and such creatures of habit. Each morning when I get up, they run around and get so excited because they know that it's time for their morning snack. They don't get crazy when anyone else in the house gets up, only me. I'm not "Mom" - I'm "The Treat Lady!" They couldn't care less when anyone else in the house gets going, but my feet hit the floor, and it's like the Golden circus has come to town.

They follow me to the kitchen, and crowd around me as I turn on the coffee pot, which just so happens to be right next to their treat jars. (Yes, there are more than one, the pups need a variety of treats, and they don't all fit into one jar!)

They always, always sit in the same order. Next to the frig is Kona. His slobber always winds up on the new stainless steel frig. Thanks Buddy....Next to him, and always slightly in front of everyone is Jill. She thinks she is the princess of the family. I suppose it doesn't help that we treat her like that too. Next to Jill is Harley, ever patient, always well behaved. Except she moans for her treats - like she is having a tough time sitting quietly, so she'll sit, but not so quiet. It's a deep moan that comes from her gut, as if to say, "Hey, don't forget me..." and then there is Jack. The treat obsessed Jackie Boy...He looks at me as if he has missed the last 10 meals and is starving. Ha! Mr. "I'm pushing 90 lbs." is not starving.
Always in the same order, never out of place.

It's the same thing when I give them their evening chew. They each have a place where they go, where they feel comfortable and not bothered. Harley likes to lounge behind the couch. She can still hear us and the TV going, but the other dogs can't see her.

Kona takes his chew outside. He lays on the mat just outside the screen door. Again, he can see in, and the activity of the family room, but enjoys his quiet time with his bully stick.
Jack takes his regular place on a bed in front of the fireplace. Looking back at all of us, as if to say, "This is my room, and I allow you all in it..."

And Princess Jill, takes her chew to the other bed, next to Jack. Then she will wait until everyone else is done with their chew until she starts on hers. She slowly munches, as if to scold everyone else for rushing through theirs. "Oh, yours is gone? Already? Silly dogs...what's the hurry?...I still have mine to chew on!"

Same routine, every day.

I love it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! Same routine - every day! I love it too. We are all creatures of habit - whether we admit it or not. :-)

NCmountainwoman said...

Routines are so important to our dogs as well. When it's grooming time, Lucy lies at the top of the stairs. The instant she hears my husband click Ellie's collar back on, she runs down the stairs for her turn.

I love the photographs!

kks said...

i love it!! it really is amazing what routines they get into! benny needs his thyroid medicine twice a day..so right after they eat breakfast Tahoe is right in front of the fridge waiting for me to get the cheese out !! she won't let me forget! and like your dogs, they all line up in a certain place! (well except Nelli who doesn't really know what's going on...i find her and deliver her treat now)
creatures of habit, that's for sure!!
i'm taking care of my neighbors pool while they are out of town...i'm taking Tahoe there to swim on sunday!!! can't wait....sure to post pics.
xoxo

1000 Goldens said...

I have to show that first picture to my husband. I too, am the treat lady and am glad to have evidence that I'm not the only one :)

Chris H said...

Our two have their cute wee habits too! They are all so sweet.