Friday, August 6, 2010

34 Years of Love and Friendship is Only the Beginning.

September 1976. That's when I first met him.

Doug.

One of those people that, though you don't realize it at the time, will become an important, constant, and lifelong friend.

I love Doug. I've loved him since the day I first met him. That was nearly thirty-four years ago and it's gone by in just a little more than a wink.

It was the first day of 7th grade for us. We shared a math class. Mr. Toler's math class. Mr. Toler liked to sit kids in alphabetical order. Doug's last name started with "E" and mine started with "F". He sat right in front of me. I was in heaven. Doug was cute, shy, and once I got to know him, very quick witted and fun.

We hit it off and became friends. Great friends. The kind of friends that write each other silly notes, and share a locker, and eat lunch together every day, and gossip, and giggle, never get tired of talking. The best of friends. We stayed friends all through high school, and beyond.

7th grade
8th grade
9th grade
10th grade
11th grade
seniors at last! (1982)

Way, way, WAY beyond!

Doug has been part of my life for so long, and we've shared so much over the years. We've attended reunions together, we've taken vacations together, he came to Bear's high school graduation, ....you name it!
Getting ready to go to our 20th high school reunion
On our first cruise together, in Oct, 2002.
On my 40th birthday cruise, 2003.

Bear's graduation, June 2004.
Being silly on a cruise, Nov, 2004.
Buddies through thick (look how thick I was!) and thin. March, 2006
After the 3 Day walk, Nov, 2006.
Our 25th reunion, July, 2007.
Oh, sure, we've had our moments....just ask him and he's happy to tell you and EVERYONE about the time I made him cry on the way home from a school Disneyland trip. (It's his favorite story to tell new people I introduce him to. I make him cry once in 34 years, and he doesn't let it go. It was all over some girl he was flirting with and it hurt my feelings...and I threw some candy at him...some "Red Hots" or "Hot Tamales" if I remember correctly...but of course that's just my version of the story...)

Anyway...he's made me cry plenty of times in the last 34 years! Like the time he surprised me and showed up on my 40th birthday cruise. You see, Doug lives in Seattle now, and I certainly didn't expect him to come for a weekend cruise just to celebrate my birthday. I was wrong, he was there.

Or the time he was waiting for me at the end of the first 3 Day Walk I did. I cried for so many reasons that day, one of them being joy at seeing him there at the end of that day, waiting for me.

There have been many other times as well, and nearly all have been happy tears. A wonderful friend will do that for you. I remember getting a 20th anniversary card in 1996 from him, celebrating 20 years of our friendship. How cool is that?

The most recent time Doug made me cry was July 24th, at about 10pm. That day I had posted a blog about walking in the 3 day, and my friend Dena who lost her battle with breast cancer, and all of the others I walk for. Doug, once again, did something I completely didn't expect. He made a donation towards my 3 Day Walk Fundraising efforts. Now, he'd already made a $100 donation as soon as I'd told him I'd signed up to walk again this year. (He has supported wholeheartedly every year I've walk.) But on the 24th, he went above and beyond what I would have ever imagined. He was touched by my post, so he went to my site, and he saw what my personal goal was ($2500) and he made a donation that brought me up to my goal! A $420 donation! I was, to say the least, shocked, thrilled, and humbled.

I am undeserving of such kindness, and such an incredible friend. I am so blessed to have him in my life. I am so lucky he has put up with so much of my drama and crap throughout the years.

Doug is, without a doubt, one of the truest, kindest, most honorable, and loving people I know. My life is better because he is part of it. He is nonjudgmental, he always has a strong shoulder, and an open mind. He is willing to listen, and offer advice, but is never one to throw things back in my face. I've told him my most intimate of secrets, and he has been my closest confidant in some of my toughest times.
He is, without a doubt, a one in a million friend, and I am so very lucky he is mine. He is as close to being a member of my family as anyone could be without sharing the same parents, or saying vows.
I love you Doug! Thank you for all you've done, and all you continue to do, and here's to many, many more years of our friendship growing!

6 comments:

kks said...

a once in a lifetime friendship! such wonderful pics, i can see the love between you two! thanks for sharing this lifelong love affair....a rare thing indeed...:)
xoxox

Chris H said...

This post almost made me cry! You and Doug are so, so lucky to have such a FANTASTIC Friendship and love for each other!

Curt Rogers said...

That kind of friendship is a gift and blessing, Sue. And I'm not sure everyone has that. Maybe one in a hundred, or even one in a thousand of us is so lucky.

Those friends are as much a part of our lives as our family and we don't remember what we ever did or how we managed to survive before they blessed us. You and Doug are lucky to have found each other, but remember (and I'm sure Doug would agree with me on this) you get what you give. His love for you is a reflection of the love and generosity you have given him.

I'm glad to know you have someone like Doug in your life who has been there since you both had bad haircuts and wore disco shirts. Those are the best friends of all.

donna said...

You are not undeserving, Sue, you are incredibly deserving of good friendships.

Friendships that can survive through the years are one of the greatest blessings of life. I have one friend I've known since the fifth grade, and she and I have been through it all together. My longest standing male friendships are almost 30 years now. Good friends are something we ALL deserve, and they are some of the strongest links in our lives.

This was a very sweet post, thanks for sharing.

Carol said...

Oh you just made me cry!!! he is a sweetie!

Coffee Talk with Shar said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome!!! You BOTH are amazing people and so worthy of each other! You have a one in a million there dear one! Hold on to him tightly!

Love you,
Kim and Shar