Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Through an amateur's eyes - a review of "Burn After Reading"


This movie was different. Very different. I like "different" and it's not to say that "different" is bad, but, it was certainly not your "run of the mill" comedy. If you are a Coen Brother fan, than you know what I mean. Their sense of humor is slightly (OK, more than "slightly") off center. Saying that this is a "dark comedy" would be like saying the ocean is wet. No kidding - did you see "Fargo"? If so, you'll know exactly the kinds of twists and turns to expect with this little jewel. The cast was star studded, including John Malkovich, Tilda Swinton, Frances McDormand, George Clooney, and my boyfriend, Brad Pitt. Brad was awesome, and played a ditsy personal trainer to perfection. His gum smacking, goofy grin was a riot, and he was the perfect compliment to McDormand's kooky "Linda." I loved her in "Fargo" and in my opinion, she was even better in this, don'tcha know...

The real star of them movie though, in my eyes, was Malkovich. He was outstanding! He plays a creepy CIA analyst, Osbourne Cox, who quits his job after being demoted. He decides to write a memoir about his time with the CIA, somehow a CD with his personal information winds up in a "Hardbody" Gym, and things really take off from that point. He is perfect as a distraught agent after whoever has his personal "sh!t".

This movie is rated "R" and for good reason. The language is atrocious, the violence is graphic and unexpected, and a particular scene in Clooney's basement is both very vulgar and funny at the same time (at least I thought so.) This is NOT a movie for the kids, and I wouldn't even consider taking anyone under 17 or 18. (And I'm the one that took my 14 and 15 year old to see "Tropic Thunder") I did like it though, and give it a strong "B"

2 comments:

Bogart said...

I have lowered my expectations on this film after reading the other reviews...but this makes me feel better...although, I am not a fan of gratuitious violence or needless cussing...so I wonder how it will be.

Pat R said...

Brad Pitt can be so funny, as long as he's not taking himself too seriously... in any case, it's about time someone made good use of his habitually spastic arm movements