Monday, September 15, 2008

Crazy, Busy, FUN!

These past few days have flown by, and I find that I have been so busy I can hardly see straight...too busy to really get anything done, I've started too many things, finished very few, and have even been too busy to (gasp!) blog!

Here is just a quick rundown of a couple of thins from the past week or so...last Monday my Mom flew to Germany. She was born there and still has friends that she likes to visit with every couple of years...I took her to the airport, and then went to pick up Bear's car at the repair shop...whew! Relief, it looked great, and we were all thrilled. While my Mom is gone, I help to keep my Dad company, help with medications, etc. and cook for him...

Tuesday was "back to school" night for A.J.'s school, and of course those things always run much later than planned. Fun, fun. We got to meet teachers and I got to put my little plug in about "if you expect my child to come to school on time every day, why do you think it's OK to keep them late every day?" Major pet peeve of mine....5 or 10 minutes makes a huge difference when you are fighting rush hour traffic with an 18 mile commute each way. (Our kids go to a public Charter School that doesn't provide transportation...) I think that if we, as parents, are expected to manage our time and get our kids to school by a certain time each morning, the teachers should be able to do the same. Manage their time, and finish up projects to ensure the kids are ready to walk out the door at the appropriate time....that's just my 2 cents. After the school gig, we FINALLY picked up our Moped, which has been in the shop for about a month. With the gas prices the way they are, it can't hurt to use that little thing once in a while.

Wednesday it was "puppy palooza" here. We had Val with her two pups, Joey and Kealani here, along with a new friend, Alison, with her two children, and their puppy, Daisy, who is Kealani's litter mate, and therefore Kona and Joey's little sister. It was like the Brady Bunch of Goldens here . It was a great afternoon, although a little crazy, and everyone slept great that night for sure!


Thursday I had lunch and an afternoon meeting with a few members of my Golden Retriever Group. We were getting ready for an event taking place on Sunday. There were going to be 30 dogs, with their families getting together for a Canine Freestyle Event, in one of the member's back yard. Yikes! Now, you all know that I love dogs, but 30 in my backyard? I don't think so. Anyway, we got all of the logistics worked out...

Friday was more pool fun with the pups. Val brought her pack down again, and we had another guest, my dear friend Merrill, and his service dog, Harley. I consider Harley my "adopted" pup, I've taken care of her several times over the last couple of years, whenever Merrill has needed me to, and I love her like she is my own. Although the weather was cooler than it had been, the dogs thoroughly enjoyed their time in the pool and roughhousing and wrestling together. The sun might not have been out, but my heart was brimming with warmth. I love watching the dogs have fun, and they had a LOT of it! That evening my 3 Day team mate and long time friend, Shirley came down from where she lives, to spend the night so we could get an early start on our 13 mile training walk planned for Saturday morning....

Well, our planned 13 mile walk on Saturday turned into a 15 mile walk! Yikes! How the heck did that happen? Well, I used this great little program called Gmaps Pedometer to plan our route. Apparently it doesn't take into account the twists and turns of the paths we were on, and it was a bit longer than we'd planned. We started walking at 6:45am and finished up exactly 5 hours later...3 miles an hours is a great pace though, and I was very proud of both of us....pooped and proud. After our walk, I swung by the airport to pick up my Bro, who is here in town to help keep my Dad company while Mom is in Germany. I'm sure my Bro was thrilled to be picked up by two girls who were hot and sweaty from a 15 mile walk....oh well, it beats walking home, right? After dropping Bro off with Dad, it was home to do a complete inventory on my Halloween stuff. Yes, yes, I know that probably sounds nuts, but it's kind of "my thing" if you know what I mean. My party is less than 6 weeks away, and I've got a TON of stuff to get done. But before I started anything, I needed to refresh my memory on what I already had, and what I still needed...After our inventory, I'm pretty sure I could open my own Halloween Prop store...no kidding...


Sunday was a full day of fun with the Golden Group. The Freestyle event was a huge success, and I think everyone really got a lot out of it. We had a great turnout, lots of positive feedback, and I'm sure it's something we will do again with the group.


There, that's it...that's why I haven't been blogging much lately. Whew! Pretty much all caught up now...I feel a little better...My calendar isn't nearly as busy this week, and I'm thankful for that. I felt a little as if, at times, I was burning my candle on both ends...

4 comments:

Bogart said...

Love the dog party...can't wait to get another one!

Valerie Cummings said...

Whoa sista! How do you do it!!!You are totally amazing! I hope soon you will take a "time out" for yourself. Hey! I have a great idea lets go to the spa and treat ourselves!

Chris H said...

So much going on... and all those goldies are just adorable! Try using 'Map my run' to 'map' your walks, it is great.

Coffee Talk with Shar said...

You are SOOOO amazing! I don't know how you and Hubby do it.....and THEN to add in your training! You just rock!!!!!