Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Sunset and Slater's - WOW!

Yesterday was the best day I'd had in quite some time.  I can't really put my finger on why it was so good, it just was. I got caught up on a few things that had been bogging me down, I got refocused on some things I'd been meaning to refocus on, and I got to do some things that I enjoy doing.  One of those things is taking pictures.

I spent about an hour at La Jolla Shores, down by Scripps Pier snapping away. Hubby, Bear and her boyfriend Barry were there.  It was chilly, but we had a really good time - well at least Bear and I did...Hubby and Barry just stood around and tried to keep warm!  Bear and I were moving around quite a bit, so the cold wasn't as noticeable to us.

I took a LOT of pictures.  I know most of these will look very similar to you. Sorry about that.  I just enjoy the difference nuances of the light changes.  A couple of minutes can make a huge difference in lighting. Seriously, trust me on this. I tried a couple of different settings on my camera too, and you'll see the changes here, but that's all that was done to these.  None of these have been photo-shopped to enhance the color or anything like that. 

Anyway, zip through these real quick if you are bored and get down to the FOOD.



I really liked this shot because I got the moon in it.

The blue of the sky was gorgeous.
Looking towards the cove.


We brought a few flashlights with us to illuminate the pier, but we didn't really have enough to do much, and we didn't really wait until it was dark enough.  It was getting too chilly! 
Barry was playing around with the flashlight he had and I captured it with a very long exposure.



  This last one was actually taken with my iPhone. I was pretty impressed. 

Oh my gosh, we had a terrific dinner after our impromptu photo shoot.  We went to a place in Liberty Station called Slater's 50/50. They are a custom burger joint.  Really good stuff.  The 50/50 part is that they offer a burger that is 50% beef and 50% bacon. (I did not order that but Hubby and Barry both did, and loved it.)

We started with their "Vampire" dip. SUPER good! Garlic, artichoke, more garlic, cheese....yummy!
We each ordered a different burger.
Barry created his own concoction...It had bacon mayonnaise, bacon ketchup, a fried egg, and all kinds of other stuff on it.  He said it was one of the best burgers he'd ever had. 
I had one of their specialty burgers - it's called the Peanu tbutter and Jealousy. It had - you guessed it - peanut butter and jelly on it.  It was really good.  Not as good as a Duane Purvis, but pretty darn good! 
We wrapped up our meal by sharing a fantastic "50/50 Famous Bacon Brownie" it is two moist chocolate brownies sandwiching candied bacon and chocolate ganache topped with more candied bacon and served a la mode. It was AWESOME!
It wasn't long before our plate looked like this! 
The restaurant also has a large, dog friendly patio, so I'm going to schedule a dinner for my Golden group there soon.  They even have a small doggie menu, how cool is that!  


1 comment:

Chris H said...

Your photos are stunning.
The food... OMG I am drooling!
I have NEVER seen an eatery offering a dog menu! Amazing.