Sunday, April 29, 2012

A Merry Olde Tyme At the Renaissance Faire!

I'll be the first one to admit it, I'm a Renaissance Faire geek. Think what you want to think, it is what it is.  I can't help it, as Lady Gaga says, "I was born this way."

I love dressing up in my "garb," seeing all of the wonderful, colorful costumes and makeup the other people come up with to wear, I love the shops, the smells, the music, the food, the language, the jousting, the parades, the fairies, and most of all, the escape of reality it offers, if only for the day. 

When I walk into the faire, I feel like I am among my peeps.  I know it's silly, but that's how I feel. It's a wonderful group of completely non-judgemental, open-minded, fun loving, free spirited people of every age, size, and color. I feel like I fit right it - and honestly, I don't feel that way very often. It's almost as if it's a daytime Halloween party with 2000 strangers. Yup, that's the feel of it.  No wonder I love it so much! 

Below are some of my pictures from today.  I only took my little point and shoot, so they aren't the best quality, and some of these were actually taken with my phone - I had to send a couple to friends throughout the day to tease them and show them what they were missing (you know who you are, and you know you were drooling!)
Do any of you remember Phillip (the "Federal Agent") from Survivor: Redemption Island? Apparently he is a Ren Faire geek too!

I love a good turkey leg!
Anyone want a pickle?
Anything goes at the faire, and I do mean anything!
This was a DUDE dressed as little green riding hood - I think.
Boys, guns, and beer, oh my!
You go green chick!
Make way for the Queen!
Merry wenches indeed!
This was a hot costume, I mean literally, the guy must have been melting! It was around 80F today!
There are always good looking men willing to pose for a picture with a bar wench.
This fairy hung out in a tree ALL day!
This lady told me "I'm about to get married!" I said, "Congratulations, you look lovely." She said, "Thank you, it's the dress I wear every time I get married!"  Well, alrighty then!
Like I said, people of all ages enjoy the faire.

This was Bear's BF Barry's first time and he thoroughly enjoyed himself.  I'm sure he'll be joining us again. Don't they look great!
An old fair favorite - I see this gentleman everytime we come to this fair.
More fantastic makeup!

The "Washer Women" - Wet, dirty women, and good clean fun!
Every fair needs a knight in shining armour. This was ours for the day.
"Good day my Lord, my, what an interesting....cod piece you have." 
People may not understand the appeal of going to an event like this, and all I can say is - don't knock it till you've tried it! 


 

No comments: