Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Really 2012?

Is this is how you want to start things off? Just a few days ago you were new, and fresh, and showed the promise of a beautiful, peaceful new year.

We started off together nice enough, ringing in the new year with family and a handful of friends. We played some cards, ate a bit of food. We even relaxed that first day together, lounging on the couch, watching a couple of old movies, and just enjoying each other. I thought we were getting along just fine.

You must not like Mondays. While I was on the way to Pasadena on the second to see the Rose Parade floats (I'll show pictures of some of those soon) you decided to show your true colors. I got a text from a dear friend telling me he'd lost his beloved canine companion of 17 years. While it was not completely unexpected, it was still heartbreaking and certainly not the way to kick off the first week of the new year.

Shortly after that, still on Monday, I sent another long time, very dear friend a birthday wish. She no longer lives in San Diego, but I knew she was in town to welcome you, 2012, in with her family. I quickly received a response from her saying that her father was very, very sick. I knew that he hadn't been well, but I hadn't realized the severity of his illness.

Needless to say, my heart was heavy walking around looking at the sites, thinking of two of my very dearest friends, worried for both of them and praying that Mother Nature held off for just one day, sparing my friend her birthday.

We had a pleasant time at the post parade viewing, but it was very warm, and there were so many people there it was hard to enjoy the event. Still, we made the most of it, saw the greater majority of the floats, got some great pictures, and were grateful for the experience.

Shortly after getting back to our car I got the text I was dreading...my friend's father died. On her birthday. Dammit. Out of the 365 days, it had to be that one? Sometimes things almost seem like a cruel, horrible joke.

After what proved to be a pretty rough Monday, I was ready (at least I thought I was) for a new day. I didn't have much on the agenda on Tuesday, which is pretty rare for me. I was looking forward to spending some time with the kids, playing catch-up on some emails, getting a little paperwork done, etc. The day started off as planned, and was going along nicely until around 2:30pm. I was just finishing up a late lunch with the girls when my cell rang. It was my Mom telling me that my Dad had taken a fall coming out of dialysis, and that she was going to take him to the hospital to get him checked out. Sounds like a good idea I thought to myself. I told her to call me and let me know how things were. Just minutes later I got another, this time panicked, call from her telling me to get to the hospital ASAP. Something was terribly wrong. When they'd gotten my Dad into the car after the fall he seemed OK, but when they got him out at the hospital, he was not. They weren't sure what had happened - a possible stroke or heart attack, but whatever was going on wasn't good. He lost consciousness and was completely unresponsive for several minutes.

To make a long story a little shorter, we still aren't sure what exactly happened. It does not look like he had a stroke, but we aren't 100% sure about a heart attack. His heart went into an abnormal rhythm and his pacemaker kicked in and did what it was supposed to do. That's a good thing, but we have no idea why it went into the arrhythmia to start with. That's the scary part. On top of the heart concerns, sure enough during the fall the poor guy broke his hip. Dammit again! He was finally moved from the ER room into a regular room at about 9:15pm last night. At least is was a little better than the hectic ER environment.

So...Pops will need surgery to put a rod and a screw into his hip to repair it. The problem is that with is heart troubles (did I mention he's had a quintuple bypass a while back?) there are some major concerns. We spoke to several different doctors yesterday from an internist to an orthopedic surgeon to a cardiologist and they are all in agreement that the surgery needs to be done as soon as possible. They will be running some more tests on Pop's heart today, being sure that the pacemaker and defibrillator are doing what they are supposed to be doing, and that he is as (in their words) "tuned up as he can be" for the surgery. The newest news is that they will give him another dialysis treatment either late tonight or early tomorrow, and then do the surgery tomorrow. The surgeon already told us that the recovery is a long, difficult one, so that's something to dread look forward to...

You know I don't usually ask for much of my blogging and FB friends, but my Pops sure could use some prayers and good vibes sent his way. If you are so inclined, it would be very appreciated. I'll keep you updated.

Until then, I'd like to remind Ms. 2012 that if you keep treating people so crappy, you are going to get a really bad reputation. Nobody likes a royal bitch, so back off.

'Nuff said.

5 comments:

Chris H said...

OMG WHAT a dreadful day/start to the new year for you and your friends/family.
I hope your Pop pulls through the surgery and recovery process OK.
He certainly is a battler by the sound of it.
{{{HUGS}}} and best wishes coming your Pop's way from me.

Ashley Perona said...

Terrible, just terrible way to start the New Year!! So sorry about your Dad Sue, sending good thoughts your way! Hope it was just a fluke and things start to get better, dear!

Curt Rogers said...

Sue,

I'm so sorry for the challenges you, your friends and family have already been forced to endure this year. You are an incredibly strong woman––a trait inherited, no doubt from your father!––and I know you will persevere. And, the optimist that I try to be, wants to believe that things can only get better from here on out.

For me, 2011 started out first by getting hit by a car while walking Duncan, and then a day later with the death of my grandfather, the last of my grandparents. And then, to make matters worse, a week later I turned the big 4-0. And all of that was in the first month. I was convinced the rest of the year was going to follow suit. Fortunately, though, despite its initial traumas and tragedies, 2011 turned out to be the best year I've had since 2004. I'd had seven solid years of terrible events but I vowed to keep my eyes, heart and spirit open to the possibilities and sure enough they found me.

I can't promise you the same, but I know that if we keep focused on the positive in our lives, the potential for joy and self-discovery and delight, the possibilities are endless.

I have faith in your indomitable spirit, that hope and magic will find you, will comfort you and see you through these difficult times.

You have countless people who have your back, untold blessings in your family and friends and fortunes, and the unquenchable devotion of your four-legged friends. You will see this through––not without bruises and exhaustion, I'm sure––but I know you will come out the other side with new insights, new strength and a determination that's unmatched.

You are all in my heart and thoughts. Know that I'm here for you.

Curt

Anonymous said...

keeping your folks and all your family in my thoughts and prayers.
taria

Travel girl said...

Really a crappy way to start of 2012. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Your dad is loved by all that know him and we will all be there for him during his recovery. You can count on it!