Monday, November 21, 2011

Kindness of Strangers

Over the last three days, I've been reminded of the goodness in people. I've seen my husband and his friends reach out, literally to thousands of strangers walking by, and offer kind words of encouragement, a high-five, a hand shake, and at times even the food they were eating. They made a difference to so many of the walkers, at times it brought tears not only to my eyes, but to theirs as well. They stood and posed for thousands of pictures (yes, I'll be posting more soon, I promise) cheered until their voices were gone, and clapped until their hands were stinging.


Amazing guys these "Melon Men" are, that's for sure...but as I think of how they reached out to so many, I think of those who reached out to me in the past and it makes me appreciate what they did for the walkers even more.

I have two people that I will never forget when it comes to the 3 Day walk.... of course there are so many more, but these two offered me a kind word, encouragement and a hug when I needed it most. For that, I will always be thankful. I made sure to seek them both out this year, and let them know what their kindness in years passed has meant to me. I'm so glad I found them and I was able to let them know how much they had touched me.

It felt really good to say "Thank You." People should really do that more often.

Thank you Officer B. H. from the San Jose Police Department. You rode along with me at the end of the first day last year when I was cold and wet and tired. You kept me company and made me laugh. You got me through the last mile and a half. To me, you were better than Brad Pitt that day - in fact you still are. You were a rock star to me that day, and you always will be. I'm so glad I saw you and thanked you again in person this year. Thanks for remembering me.



Thank you Pam! You've been there for me and thousands of other walkers every year since 2006. You give the best hugs and morning send offs a person could ask for, and you have the brightest smile and weloming arms at the end of some very long days. You are like my little angel out there, and I love you! I hope to see you again soon!



No comments: